Saturday, March 7, 2020

Seam Sealer, New Parts and Some Reassembly




Well, apparently, its been nearly 7 months since my last update. Took a break from the VW to put a new metal roof on the shop,  the holidays came and I worked on some other projects. Finally getting back to work on her again.

After sealing and painting the pan, seam sealer was applied to all of the seams, joints and anywhere the metal overlapped where moisture might accumulate. Realized I should have done this before I painted the pan, aaahhh!!! Oh well, better late than never. Researching seam sealers, 3M was the best I could find that would bond specifically with the urethane based chassis coating that I used and was pretty indestructible.

I ordered some parts for the pan from Wolfsbürg West and have started putting the pan back together. Most of these were rubber seals and grommets. I also replaced the brake lines with new. 

The shift knob is pretty beat up and will need some love to bring it back.  On the hand brake, the top three teeth of the ratcheting gear were broken off, so I repaired them by welding new metal into place where the teeth once were and shaped them into the appropriate "tooth" shape with my Dremel. It turned out great, and it works again!


 Brass T fitting and bolt for rear brake lines cleaned, oiled and installed.

 Bowden Tube and boots in place.

 Gas Line Grommets Installed.

 Torsion Arm/Spring Plate Cover bolts cleaned, threads chased and oiled.

The original spring for the shifter was broken, so I welded it back together, it turned out good.

I was able to prep and paint the shifter and e-brake in the original Anthracite color, pretty cool. I also found some interesting stamps on the e-brake handle.










No comments:

Post a Comment