Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Old Pan Removal and New Pan Fitting


I removed the old pan on the passenger side with some help of this video by Duckman Cycles and VW Garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkahP6TE0A&t=1286s and a sawzall. With the sawzall, it literally only took about 5 minutes...amazing! In the video, the chassis is lifted onto it's side. I was able to hoist the chassis on its side to do this with the bucket of a tractor, a lot easier than trying to lift it. But, unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of it - DAMN IT!

I removed the remains of the pan from the tunnel with an air chisel, just like the video above. I can't believe how easy this turned out to be. Thanks Duckman!

After I got rid of the tar board, it was apparent that the rust damage was worse than I had thought. It had eaten through much of the passenger side pan. Replacing the whole passenger side pan is needed.



I ordered a new passenger side pan from Wolfsburg West, the best available according to many on the Samba. The steel is as thick or thicker than the original. The only issue that I had - when I received it, the front was curled upward. I flattened it out without a problem, but it was kind of odd.



I really wish I would have took pictures of it without the pan, it was quite the accomplishment. But it all turned out well, so far.

1 comment: